Friday, September 23, 2011

MOE to revamp policies and directions

http://sg.news.yahoo.com/moe-to-focus-on-values--character-education.html

For years, as a student, we often wonder why there is a value difference between what is advocated in sch mgt and school teachers. I used to remember a Chinese teacher from my secondary school, Mr Foo, who once sighed in front of our class. He said: "As students, you do not just learn about new information and knowledge. You must learn moral values. You can be brilliant in your studies but once moral values is lost, the person is deemed as worthless." He emphasised on the 5 values which can be found commonly in chinese culture and teachings.
That makes me wonder then, why did the ancestors emphasise so much on that but the educators of today did not place so much importance on it. Could it be a thing of the past or the direction that current educators are heading is wrong?
Years go by.
I begin to reflect on this question on and off. Upon introspection, I realise that my Chinese teacher is right afterall. If one has no values, then the person has no stand or view on everything. He/She is just a puppet or a product down the assembly line performing the tasks without soul. Once such person is under duress, he/she is lost forever. Not only are the decisions wrong which affected others, but also the person. He / she may begin to wonder if they are suited for the job and question their purpose in life which in some worst scenarios leads to depression and death.
When I saw this article this morning, I couldnt help but say YES!
Finally someone understands.
Let's see how is the alignment and the implementation done. It can be just empty promises but a conscious awareness of it is a good start.
Then people can fill in the blanks.
I am beginning to raise my hope.
What about u?

No comments: