Monday, January 30, 2017

Book Review #01 - The life-changing magic of Tidying by Marie Kondo

It is an interesting book for me, at least I considered myself a mediocre hoarder.

For years, I think, I cant let of certain items in my room because of sentimental value and also because of the years the items are with me. Sort of feelings attached to them. I was thinking if I should let go of them.

People around me told me to be more ruthless and just throw. I simply couldnt let go of the feelings.

A colleague introduced me to Marie Kondo's book, saying it is truly inspirational.

With a skeptic's eye, I started reading the books. Mind you, this is not the first book on decluttering and I was never convinced by them.

This book was partial auto-biographical and partial knowledge sharing. The main message I had after reading the book was to remove the contents in the half-filled cup in order to contain more.

It employs goal-setting technique right from the start - set a goal on the ideal room or state of the accommodation.

It details the problems I faced when I tried to declutter. The pains, the uncertainties and some unknown emotions that I dont know how to describe which in the book was describe as gratitude.

There are 3 main lessons that I have learnt from the book:

1) Every item has a role to play.
When there is something that I am hesitant to throw - the important question to ask is "Has this item fulfilled its purpose in my life?"

2) Items should be sort by categories and not by location
The reason being there should not be any double-counting in terms of functions and will utilise the items more efficiently, appreciate my possessions better.

3) Through the decluttering process, there are life lessons waiting to be learnt.
Decluttering should be a joyous process as it celebrates life and deepens understanding of self, even though the process may prove this to be conflicting on the surface. Through the process, one will know own's personality, preferences, styles, ideals; improves self-esteem and decision-making process; and lastly face life with responsibility and accountability.

But I have a series of questions after reading the book:

1) It sounds like a too-good-to-be-true kind of books - similar to fengshui books. IT sounds too airy-fairy.

2) How do I know this is the right and best method for me?

3) What if I throw something sentimental/things I need but only to regret later because I have thrown it away? Would be quite a loss for budget-conscious me. The book suggests that if that item is so important and there is a need, I could replenish later. What if I could not get back the very thing that I want?

4) Do I have what it takes to complete the process? The stamina and the heart pains, coming to think of it, makes me a little fluttery and nervous.

5) When organised by categories, where do I keep those that I have sorted out? The book suggested that I keep away until I have completed the entire process and decide where I should keep them eventually.

Hm...I am re-reading the book so hopefully I can find the answers to my questions. Will update this again.

No comments: